Tuesday, March 20, 2012

My Top 10 Toronto Spots

It has been awhile since I lived in Toronto but it will always be very near and dear to my heart. It is after all where I spent 4 grueling years attending Ryerson University completely a BFA in Dance. It was where I moved at the age of 17 (18 shortly after) to live on my own for the very first time. In Toronto I really became the woman who I am today. I was pushed to my limits and tested and tried in ways that I that I could not imagine. I was privileged to meet a ton of amazing people and make special friendships that I still cherish. It was an amazing time of my life and I wouldn't have had it any other way. I also feel really lucky to have had the chance to experience Canada's largest city first hand. Toronto really is an amazing place and I would challenge all of you Canadians to try to make it there once in your life. You won't regret it!

Now I'd like to share with you 10 of my favourite things to do in Toronto. In no particular order, just in the way they come to mind.

1. Queen St. West- If there is only one place you can go to shop in Toronto let this be it. Queen West is an incredible strip of delightful shops and stores of all varieties.
Everything from old, used and vintage to shiny, sparkly and new can be found here. And it's just a ton of fun! Not to mention the AMAZING food that is found along this street. As I'm thinking back a lot of great places come to mind by my absolute favorite spot to eat is a little Japanese restaurant right across the street from City TV and Much Music called HoSu. This is where Dan and I had our first date- so that's probably why I love it so much but the food is also incredible and cheap! You get this amazing Bento Box brimming over with Sushi, Tempura, Teriyaki and more all for only $10! Seriously I would highly recommend hitting up HoSu for lunch. AS for the shopping like I said there are tons of great stores but one that I really remember and love because it is just so darn cool is called Fashion Crimes- they have the most incredible dress selection I have ever seen. And their stuff is totally wicked and completely unique!

2. Chinatown  Just around the corner from Queen West is Spadina Avenue home to Chinatown. Chinatown is an experience of it's very own. If you've ever been to a good China town you'll know. Its crazy to walk down the street and feel like you're suddenly in another country! Literally everyone there is Asian and no one speaks English! Ok maybe I'm over exaggerating a little, but it really feels this way. It's so much fun to walk through the markets and look at all the "weird" food. It's fun to try some of the "weird" food and it's especially fun to go to the bakery! Chinese bakeries are the best- such delicious treats! 
Of course there is tons of great, cheap Chinese food here too. One of the spots I always used to go to with friends is a restaurant called Rol San- it's delicious and amazing. The shopping here is also incredibly enjoyable! Learn how to haggle before you go and you'll get yourself some great deals, plus it's knock off central. 

3. Kensington Market- Just a few blocks away from Spadina Ave.(and Chinatown) is another of Toronto's gems- Kensington Market. This is the spot to find yourself wicked-cool-and-totally-unique-stuff! It's another fabulous place to lose a few dollars but totally worth the retro, vintage, chic things that you will find there. I used to love the second hand clothing shops and while I never bought any furniture, there is plenty to look at. There is also an abundance of good food to be found here (like everywhere else in Toronto!) There are some off beat grocers and restaurants, yum yum!


4. Art Gallery of Ontario- Sadly I haven't had a chance to go visit the AGO since it was redone. But I loved the old AGO and I'm certain the new AGO won't disappoint! I used to love spending time here while I was in University. I'm a bit of a nerdy nerd what can I say- but I totally dig art galleries. One particular collection at the AGO that I think every Canadian should see is the Thomson Collection of Canadian Paintings and First Nations Objects. I am a particular fan of the Group of Seven work which I spent a lot of time studying in my art days (long ago.) Even if you're not into art it's fun to walk around the gallery and check out all the amazing and inspiring pieces.

5. Harbourfront- The Harbourfront was always one of my favourite places to go during the summer. It's so beautiful there both day and night. There is an great little Theatre in the Harbourfront Centre where I used to attend a lot of dance shows, there are fun shops and of course yummy treats. The Harbourfront is also the home to a lot of really fun free festivals and concerts year round! But of course the best thing to do here is grab an ice cream and walk along the Waterfront, checking out the boats and enjoying the lovely breeze off Lake Ontario. 

6. Bata Shoe Museum- This is fun and unique museum to visit in Toronto. Everything in the Bata Shoe Museum is...you guessed it - all about  shoes! As a shoe lover I'd say a visit to this museum is a must. It's kind of neat to see how shoes have evolved over time and how they serve people in various cultures of the world. It is also cool to see some of the ridiculous things people have put on their feet all in the name of fashion! A visit here makes for a fun afternoon. 

7. The National Ballet of Canada & Canadian Opera Company. I`m lumping these two iconic Canadian arts companies together because they share a venue- The Four Seasons Centre for The Performing Arts. Unfortunately I haven`t had a chance to see either company perform in the new facility as it was completed right around the time I moved away from Toronto, but if I could go back to Toronto for a day I`d absolutely go see a show by either the NBC or COC. Again my nerdy artsiness is coming through but there is nothing I love more than going to the ballet. I`ve never actually seen the COC perform but it`s on my list.

8. Free Festivals- After having lived in a variety of Canadian cities in 3 provinces there is no city who can boast such a wide array of free entertainment as Toronto. There are free festivals and concerts all year long all over the city, but the summer time is especially full of fun stuff. I'd love to be able to spend a summer in Toronto again simply to enjoy the wide array of free fun! Check out some of what Toronto has to offer here.

9. St. Lawerence Market- St. Lawerence Market is a great farmers market in Toronto where you can find all kinds of wonderful fresh food. It's a low key kind of activity, but that doesn't mean it's not a ton of fun to walk around the market, grab a delicious lunch, see some street performers and grab some fresh produce for later. Simple and sweet. 

10. CN Tower- I know it's the typical tourist attraction of Toronto, but you can't go to Toronto and not go up the CN tower! You just have to do it. I would personally recommend going up at night- it is totally amazing looking out at a city of lights. But it's beautiful in the day time too. And even though you may feel like a toursit while at the top don't sweat it even the Torontonians have gone up the Tower too. Besides it was once the tallest free standing structure in the world! 

And there you have it my Top 10 for Toronto. I have to admit there are a lot of other things I thought of adding to this list while I was creating it- Toronto just has a ton of great stuff to do. But these re 10 of my favourites! 

Have you been to Toronto- what are your favourite spots? 

Jordan

2 comments:

Drop me a line!