Wednesday, July 17, 2013

Summer Fun!

Well I certainly haven't been doing very well with posts lately but alas life gets busy. In any case we've finally had some summer weather here is Calgary and we've had the chance to get up to some fun adventures, here are a few things we've done so far this summer.

1. June 2 we got to celebrate Dan's 29th birthday. I went low key with being so tired from this pregnancy so I bought a cake instead of making one. We had our friends the Glenn's over for dinner and had a grand old time.
The birthday boy with 29 candles to blow out. The kids were more than happy to help in this endeavour!
2. Dan and I got to go away for a mini vacation without our kids which I already wrote a lengthy post about here!



3. I had a beautiful baby showered hosted by my friend Rachel, and had a visit with my high school bestie which I posted about here.

4. This summer we got passes to Calaway park and have already enjoyed them twice within the same week. I am really glad that we got them because they were so cheap and it is a great way to entertain the kids for a day! Plus there are tons of rides that Marshal can go on, not as many for Cohen because he is so tiny, but enough that they both seem to have a great time when we are there. The first time we went (June 27) I brought along Rael to help me out with my kids and also met up with my friend Alex and her little girls and Arianne. We had a great day and the kids had a ton of fun. There were also next to no line ups for any of the rides and the park wasn't overly busy. Win win in my books! We went back that same week on Saturday, Dan and I took the boys and we had a great time as a family.
Enjoying a ride with Natalie.
Cotton candy is delicious!
The boys riding the little tug boats.
Marshal flying a plane.

Me an Coco on the old fashioned cars.

Cohen jealously watching Marshal on a ride he was too small for. 

5. On Canada Day we attempted to go swimming only to arrive to a pool that was full to capacity and would not let anyone else in (it was the hottest day of the year so far with temperatures that felt like 40 degrees.) We then drove to another pool only to find it closed because of the flooding in Calgary (which I have yet to post about,) our last resort was the splash park which was thankfully open but busy like nobody's business. The boys had lots of fun though playing and splashing in the water and it was nice to beat the heat a little bit. 

6. The day after Canada Day we went for a late night cruise down to a new frozen yogurt place called Tutti Frutti, because it was so hot in the upstairs of our house that we cold not even breathe up there. There was no way any of us could go to sleep so we took our chances getting the boys to fall asleep in the van. Luckily Cohen did fall asleep on the way home but no such luck with Marshal he was still wide eyed when we got home around 11pm. Luckily he fell asleep pretty quickly, lying on the window bench in the living room in front of an open breezy window. I ended up sleeping with him in the basement because my pregnant body could not stand the heat upstairs!

7. On July 7 we went for a lovely afternoon adventure with two other families. We drove up to a park called Big Hill Springs where we had a picnic and went on a short hike. The kids had a ton of fun running around together and playing by the water. Marshal decided to have an epic poo his pants moment that was truly disgusting! Then we enjoyed a lovely impromptu potluck picnic dinner and a nice "easy" walk. The hike really wasn't that hard but being that I was closing in on 38 weeks when I did it, it felt pretty epic. The boys had a ton of being out in nature hiking and playing, seriously they are their father's children in every sense of the word.

Marshal exploring (pre pooped pants incident)
Cohen exploring.
Getting ready for our hiking adventure.
Some of the pretty springs/falls.
Up we go.
Dan helping Marshal along.
This was a pretty big hill, but nothing deters Marshal on his bike!
Cohen decided to do a lot of the walking on his own. 
He did surprisingly well, he thinks he's a bog boy now!
Some of the crew, we were 8 kids and 6 adults!
More crew.
Just in case you didn't think I was really there!
I was!
After the hike, two cute little boys. 
I just love these two munchkins!

8. Stampede! It wouldn't be a Calgary summer without a visit to the stampede. This year we went on kids day (as usual, because I'm too cheap to pay for admission on any other day) and brought along my Mom, Aeron, her baby Kendra and Rael. I'm super glad for all the extra help I had because there is no way I could have managed on my own! It was way too hot, way too busy and I was way too pregnant. I'm pretty sure my feet and ankles were twice their normal size by the end ofthe day for all the swelling! Anyway I am really glad that I brought the boys (because I was considering not going this year) because I think they had a ton of fun.

Cohen was pretty mellow in the morning, likely because we woke him extra early to get to Stampede during the free hours. 
Riding a baby motorcycle, note Marshal in the background just whizzing by!
Cutie pie face. 
Such a poser he is :)

Well that's that for now. Of course we've had other fun days spent out in the sun, playing with friends, playing at the park, going for bikes rides and walks staying up late and enjoying the summer weather that we've had. I'm certain we will continue to have a wonderful summer and more adventures to post of soon.

What have you been up to with your kids this summer?

Jordan

No comments:

Post a Comment

Drop me a line!