Tuesday, January 14, 2014

Thoughts on Motherhood

Lately my attention has been drawn to several posts from other bloggers as well as media on the subject of women, and more specifically feminism and motherhood. I feel like there is a constant outpouring of opinions on these topics but for one reason or another they seem to really have taken a forefront lately.

feminism and motherhood 

Let me begin by saying that I wouldn't ordinarily call myself a feminist simply because I feel that this word often has a bad association. However in the simple and exact definition of feminism I am undoubtedly 100% a feminist.

From the Merriam Webster Dictionary the definition of Feminism is: The belief that men and women should have equal rights and opportunities. 

I absolutely and unquestionably feel that men and women should be treated equally and that we have the right to be treated equally in all situations and circumstances. Now this is where things may get a little interesting.

While I fully support the belief in gender equality I also fully support and believe that women should be the primary care givers for their children when possible.

Why is it that the world has decided that being a mother is somehow not good enough for a woman? Why is it that women who choose to stay home with their children are often frowned upon? Why has the world developed the opinion that in order to allow for the progression of feminism women should not get married, not have children, not care for a husband and instead seek after and attain lofty and sought after professional careers?

In my humble opinion this does not make ANY sense.

How will we have a future without the bearing of children? Who will teach, love, nurture and raise the leaders of tomorrow if mothers cease to exist? How can we have equality without the acceptance of all women's choices including those of women who choose to be, "house wives" and, "mothers." And furthermore who decided that being a mother was no longer right?

I am here to say that enough is enough. We are women our bodies are designed to bear children (those of us who are blessed this way.)

we are meant to be mothers

I have personally fought a battle within myself many times: of wanting a successful career and being a mother, of feeling like I'm not doing anything with my life while I mother my children and also feeling overwhelmed with the responsibilities of motherhood, of waiting for the day I don't have to stay at home any longer and never wanting my children to leave my grasp, of dreaming what I could have done if I didn't have kids and thinking of what my future with children holds.

But then one day I realized that this battle was nonsense.

Yes I do think fondly about my days as a dancer. Yes I dream about what it would have been like to do more, be more, perform more, go to school longer. Yes I think it would have been spectacular to be successful and to be constantly doing what I want to do.

But this is a selfish life to live.

I chose to give life to others. I chose to create these little people and bring their spirits to earth. Why should I pass them off to someone else so they can be loved and cared for? I don't believe that I should. In fact I know that I should not. I believe that I am the best person in the world to love them, hold them, teach them, help them to achieve success and develop and grow into adults who will support and give back to their society.

I am a feminist and I am a mother

I believe these two go hand in hand. Who more wants equality for their sons and daughters than mothers? No one.

So lets stop telling girls, teenagers and women that they shouldn't aspire to be wives and mothers because there is nothing wrong with being a wife and a mother! In fact there is everything right about being a wife and a mother. Wives and mothers have more influence on the future than one may imagine. (Think along the lines of the Proctor and Gamble add that went viral a few days ago.)

Instead of telling girls, teenagers and women that being a mother isn't good enough we should be showing them and teaching them how to be effective leaders because that is what mothers are. We should be supporting mothers and praising them for their hard work and constant dedication. We should be telling the world that many of the troubles and woes of society could be fixed if every child were to have a good, kind and loving mother. I'm not saying that women can't also have a career while being a mother. Some women can do both and that is amazing, but for those of us who can't or simply don't want to lets stop making it seem that they are somehow unfortunate. They are not. We are not. We want to be mothers and that is enough for us.

Being a mother is enough. It is a noble, lifelong carer with no monetary reward. It is a day in, day out, 24 hour a day job that doesn't give many breaks. It may not be glamorous or even appealing but it is full of special moments that make it all worth while. It is a sacrifice of yourself and a putting aside of selfish and worldly endeavours. It is a choice that will be met with challenge and   plenty of frustration. But it is the ultimate gift you can give to your children and your fellow men. Being a mother is being a guardian of the future. It is working hand in hand with God. Being a mother is absolutely and unquestionably the hardest job in the world but it is also the most special and sacred thing a woman can do.

In my humble opinion there is no greater thing a woman can do with her life than be a mother if she is given that opportunity. There is no greater way to contribute to society than to care for a part of its future. I am honored, humbled and grateful to have the blessing of being a mother. I love my children and know that they have taught and will continue to teach me to be a better person.



Jordan

9 comments:

  1. Just like you feel looked down upon as a SAHM those moms who work outside the home are looked down upon. You make references to those who "allow others to care for their children". You do whats best for your family. You should feel most honoured that your life circumstances have allowed you to stay at home because there are many who do not have that choice. Mothers are important. . Regardless of what that looks like in your family.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Please see my response to the post below yours as it also address your comments. I don;t frown upon working moms! I'm just trying to show that what those of us who do stay home is enough! We don't need to do more unless we want to!

      Delete
  2. The feminist movement was all about allowing women to choose what's right for them. Perhaps this means getting married and having children. But perhaps means the right to further your education, to better yourself, and NOT be labeled as selfish. What the world needs is more acceptance on both sides, not more judgement like this.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was not my intetion to look dwon upon who mothers who also work. I see nothing wrong with this if this is what is right for you. I myself went back to work part time after my first two children but was unable to return to work after my third. Many women are able to do both and do both well, so power to them! What I am intending is that perhaps the world will take a second look at the significance of motherhood and give more support and less flack to the women who choose to be, "only" mothers. Choosing to aty at home is a sacrifice and not necessarily a priviledge. My husband has not always had the most stable career or paycheck and I have more education than him so it would have been possible for me to earn more if I choose to work full time, but I chose to stay home because that is where I feel my greatest influence can be. If we really want the feminist movement to go forth with all power all women need to support each other in every circumstance!

      Delete
  3. WOW!! Touchy subject, but I for one agree with you 100% and I think that you just can't win with this topic no matter what you write. I don't think you were calling Mothers who work, "selfish," at all! I liked that you said wanting to be a wife and a mother is enough! I for one DO think an education is just as important and should be sought after (if women chose to do so), but if they chose to JUST be a Mother, than that is ok too, it's more than ok! Great blog post and good for you for writing what you want to write!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Alex! I also agree that education is essential! I will push Novah to get as much or more education than my boys! And I plan to one day go back to get my Masters degree. But as also stated it's enough to be a wife and mother of that is what you want! No one should frown upon that choice as it is an empowering one no mater how the world may view it!

      Delete
  4. Great post! You're a very eloquent writer. I'm so glad you're passionate about what you believe and I think you are the greatest Mum to your little ones. I agree, if being a SAHM is your calling, then that's great. If having a career is for you, great. And if finding a way to do both will make you find balance and be a better mother when you're with your kids, then that's great too! That's the beauty of feminism in my opinion. Giving women the power to choose, and live a life they want and always supporting each other along the way. Great job!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for your supportive words Nicole! I couldn't agree more I simply believe we women need to support each other regardless of the choices we make and that is what will help to bring full force the feminist movement as we wish to see it! My intention with this post was simply to let everyone know there is nothing wrong with "just" being a mom! And you can do that while also being a feminist!

      Delete
  5. Sacrificing personal aspirations in the pursuit of motherhood is not settling. It is sanctifying. When we really reflect on who we are, where we came from, why we are really here, and most of all where we are going it becomes clear, if given the ability and opportunity (and developed the willingness to sacrifice much or all) that the refining fire of motherhood changes a woman in no way success in careers and achievements can. Sometimes we hope we can have it all, be a Jack of all trades, but in truth we spread ourselves thin and we become a master of none. "What ere thou art, act well thy part". I believe we are divinely created as women even in spirit, not by happy accident of genetics.

    ReplyDelete

Drop me a line!