Saturday, February 22, 2014

This I Know For Certain

There are not many things that I feel completely certain about in life but there is one thing I do know without a shadow of a doubt- movement is at the very essence of my existence. There is nothing that moves my soul greater than watching people use their bodies as instruments of expression. Dance at its greatest is the exposure of everything human and leaves nothing unsaid. It transcends all barriers of language, time and place, being everything and nothing all at once.

I continually marvel at the ability dance has to take each person on a special and unique journey. A journey which identifies with every fibre of human existence and touches the soul so profoundly, each one in its own way.

I'm aware that not everyone has such a intimate relationship with dance as I do, however I do believe that anyone can experience something special when they attend a dance performance if they open their hearts to be touched. To me dance is something much deeper than refined technique and innovative choreography. It is food for the soul.

I'm feeling especially inspired tonight because I had the opportunity to see Ailey II perform today at the the Jubilee Theatre here in Calgary. I have always hoped to see some of the work of iconic choreographer Alvin Ailey and I am soooo glad that I was finally blessed with that opportunity today. All of the works presented by Ailey II were incredible but it was the 54 year old piece, Revelations, which really moved me.


As I sat watching this breathtaking piece of choreography I couldn't help but think how amazing dance is. Despite its, "age" this piece was not dated at all. There is no reason you would have to suspect its age other than the fact that it is well known for its rich history. This piece was simple, exciting, rich, full of life, passion and emotion. It was funny, sad, heart wrenching and spiritual, it really was the essence of everything that I profess dance to be. It was INCREDIBLE.


Since having Novah I haven't had a chance to attend a dance performance (other than a performance by Alberta Ballet students which was highly enjoyable) because it's kind of tricky to get away for more than few hours with a breastfeeding baby. But today was just what I needed at this time. Seeing Ailey II reminded me that I need to have dance in my life and when I don't have it regularly present I get really bummed out. I am always uplifted and inspired when I see dance. It helps me to cope with life because it is food for my soul. It is also something that I miss doing immensely! Its been a long time since I really danced and I have to confess that I miss it terribly. So terribly in fact that it makes my heart ache when I think about it too much, so I try not to.

I really want to find a way to incorporate dancing back into my life this year. I'm sure it will be hard because life is ever so busy with three little ones, but I feel like I really need to do this for myself and for my happiness (not that I am entirely unhappy but I think you can see what I am getting at.) I know it will be hard not being what I once was many years ago but I hope that in some way I can start to feed my soul again with the thing that matters so much to me and I am ever so passionate about. Maybe one day I'll be able to dance again and even perform on stage again! Dreams I know, but a girl can have them right?!

Jordan

1 comment:

  1. I am jealous of the passion you have for dance. I hope you can find a way to get back into your life this year and always. Also, being completely 'uneducated' when it comes to dance I am feeling extremely guilty for all the Alvin Ailey performances I got to see as a kid and totally underapreciated!

    ReplyDelete

Drop me a line!