Tuesday, January 22, 2013

My New Sewing Machine!

I'm totally excited to announce that I just invested in a sewing machine! I am really excited about this. I never ever thought that I would be a sewer (is that a real word? well for this post it will be!) and I still don't think that I will be a "real" sewer, but, I wanted to get a machine for house and craft type projects, like, making cushion covers, hemming curtains and pants, sewing table cloths and making baby blankets for me and friends.

I grew up with a seamstress for a mother, she sewed everything from our Sunday dresses, to practically all of our clothe when we were little, dance costumes, stage costumes, wedding, dresses, bridesmaid dresses, prom dresses and everything else you can imagine. She was truly and still is an amazing sewer. I have seen the handiwork of many women in my day and in my eyes non compares to the quality of my moms! That being said I was never ever interested in sewing. Not until a few years ago did I develop a bit of in an interest in making things like my mom.

I guess it's something to do with being "old" and "married" but I'm now totally embracing the whole sewing idea and really excited about my new sewing machine  I have a coupe basic things I want to do right away, but I'm thinking I might get adventurous and maybe try making something for myself and not just for the house! We'll see. I guess I have to take baby steps. I guess the beauty of having a seamstress for a mom is that while I've never really sewed much myself, I know quite a bit about how the whole process works. I'm  definitely no expert but I've seen a few shirts and skirts and dresses made in my day!

Here's to some happy sewing!

Jordan

1 comment:

  1. You should not have announced this. Now I will be borrowing it/knocking on your door to use it! haha

    What are you working on first? I'm working on a bunch of house projects at the moment but none of them are sewing projects (lucky for you! hehe). Mostly trying to get stuff more organized and more decorated. I got one of those closet iron/ironing board hanging contraptions (thrilling, I know), then I'm working on the shelves for the front entry (thank you to Dan for the boards!), I got 2 big frames for the dining area in the kitchen that I need to fill, the new chair in the bedroom for nursing baby - and I'm doing a little project for a side table and want to get some photos/art hung there plus a throw and a pillow for the chair, and I got a chalk board for Thomas at Goodwill that I think I'm going to hang in the hallway (let's maximize unused space!!). Hmm that sounds like a lot. I think I should take a nap lol

    ReplyDelete

Drop me a line!