Saturday, April 20, 2013

Before I Had Kids Chores Were Fun

You may think the title if this post is a joke but I'm actually so serious right now. Looking back what I wouldnt give to do chores like I used to. They weren't actually that bad, in fact they may have been slightly enjoyable and even a little bit fun. Let me tell you all about it.

Before I had kids...

I liked to clean the kitchen. Wiping off the counter and sweeping the floors was a pretty easy task, These days I feel like I need to take a scraper and shovel to the floor after every meal. Not to mention get down on my knees to scrub it all off.

Laundry was a pretty enjoyable activity. A nice low key way to spend the evening, sit at home in your pjs, turn on a good show/movie while the load washes and dries and then fold. Simple and done in just a couple hours. Now laundry seem like a never ending mass of forever dirty clothes. Is it even possible to get through a 1 day without doing a load? Doesn't seem so in my house. And the mountains just keep on growing.

Washing the dishes didn't bother me. There were seriously only about 10 dirty items at the end of day, including all the pots and pans used for cooking! Somehow we now manage to fill an entire dishwasher every day and then some. Thanks goodness we have that dishwasher, I'm sure I would have given up on dishes long ago.

I cleaned the bathroom every day. Not a serious clean but at least a good wipe down. Now I'm lucky to get to it once a week. I find it so gross, but there doesn't seem to be any other time to fit it in.

Grocery shopping was quick and painless. Now it's still as quick as I can make it but far from painless. It's pretty much a race in how fast I can get through the store pushing a gigantic heavy cart full of two highly irritated children and masses of food overflowing from the cart. Seriously who planned out the shopping cart? It is in no way big enough to hold all the kids and all the food for the week, especially if you throw a case of diapers and wipes in there. I don't know what I'll do in a few months when I have a baby car seat taking up half of my precious food room!

I used to love having a clean, tidy, well kept house. It's not that I have changed any. I still love me a clean house, but at the end of the day when the kids finally go to bed the least thing I want to do is spend my few free hours cleaning up. And so it goes that the chores get a quick half version of done, floors swept but counters messy, laundry washed but in baskets unfolded, dishwasher full but pots and pans stacked in the sink, bathroom neglected, groceries shopped but not properly put away. You get my drift. I try to get one day a week to clean my house as much as possible but with having two little monkeys running around the benefits of this day don't seem to last long. Sigh. Oh well it is what it is. I'm sure in 20 years when the house is in perfect order I'll be wishing I had little people to pick up after, so they say.

Jordan

1 comment:

  1. Just reading your post made me long for a clean house. Then I looked down at my fussy baby whose behaviour is begging me to cuddle her and pat her bum and I thought - oh well. There are more important things :)

    ReplyDelete

Drop me a line!