Sunday, April 14, 2013

When Blogging Gets You In Trouble...

No seriously.

What do you do when you post something that includes your true feelings, but also happens to be good fun with the intention of getting a few laughs, never the intention of hurting people's feelings. And then someone somewhere along the line finds it really offensive?

I'm sure you can all guess which post I am talking about.

I already know many of my friends do not share my dislikes, but we were able to laugh over our differences and get over the fact that we aren't the same people and still be friends. I don't think its necessary for us all to like the same things just to be friends or coworkers or even acquaintances? Or is it?

And what about the others? Those who were offended? What should be done?

I'm hoping that most of us can agree to disagree, we are after all all grown ups and entitled to our own opinions. I'm also quite confident that I shared my feelings in a respectful way and never once suggested "you" were beneath me for liking the things that I dislike.

I guess what I'm saying is that I'm not going to apologize for sharing my thoughts or opinions, you can go ahead and share yours too. Isn't that what freedom of speech is all about?

However I'd also like to get some input from other bloggers because I feel a little confused. Do you think your posts should steer clear of potentially offensive posts? Or should your blog be a safe place where you are free to express your personal thoughts and beliefs, likes and dislikes?

A somewhat confused,

Jordan

9 comments:

  1. I think your most recent post was quite funny except for one thing. The one about the animals. It is very easy to make comments like that, but unless you have had a pet in your adult Life you Will not understand. To make fun at someone who would be hurt in their pet died, is a little rude. To someone who is unable to bear children, pets are like children to them. It is their family. At the end of the Day, this is your blog and you Have the right to write whatever you please. People can decide if they would like to read your blog.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I understand that some people love their animals as children especially if they are unable to have children. I don't have a problem with this, every person is entitled to love whom they choose. I simply do not feel pets can take the place of children, but never having experienced this I do not know how it feels. Also I was not making fun if the person who lost their pet but simply stating that I felt it was a little much for this person to tell a woman who's child had just committed suicide that her cats death was the same thing. I'm sure losing your pet whom you love can be very difficult but in my opinion the two just cannot been seen on the same level- a child's suicide versus a cat's death of old age are completely different situations. Thanks for sharing your thoughts! Hopefully you'll keep reading!

      Delete
    2. Your blog is Always entertaining & educational

      Delete
    3. Plan to continue reading

      Delete
    4. This comment has been removed by the author.

      Delete
  2. Jordan it was obvious that your post was all in good fun. Every one is entitled to their own opinions and feelings. Being offended by something is completely a choice.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You are definitely allowed to write a post like you did earlier this week. It was in fun, of which you clearly identified at the beginning of the post. They are an account of your preferences and likes, and should be taken at the same face as if you were having a regular conversation in person. I think what you wrote was clever and gave me insight into what you like and don't like. That's what blogging is all about...showcasing and personalizing YOU and if others like to read it, then continue to read! If they disagree with something you write, well then congratulations - welcome to the real world. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  4. It's your blog you should be able to write what you want. I loved reading yours, Alex's and ariannes blog posts on likes and dislikes. I personally didn't agree with everything but its all in fun. I love animals as anyone who knows me can testify to but I agree that a child's suicide is WAY different than a cat dying of old age.

    ReplyDelete
  5. No matter what you write, no matter what you do, no matter how you act, what you say, or what you think, someone will take offense, someone won't like it, and someone won't like you (anyone, not you specifically). I've heard many woman around 40+ (age), talk about how much they have loved getting older, because they have finally stopped trying to please everyone, learned how to say no, and stopped worrying about what people think. Sounds like bliss!

    ReplyDelete

Drop me a line!