Well the time has come, I'm officially in the third trimester of this third pregnancy! I'm mostly thrilled because it means this pregnancy is that much closer to being over, and also because it means that I get to meet my sweet little lady in just 3 months time. Reaching 27 weeks today opens the door to the possibility of having this baby in just 10 weeks! Say what?! I better get a move on with all my project work. But realistically for me I know I'll still be at the 13 week mark for delivery but still the possibility of 10 weeks is there and it is somewhat thrilling!
Unfortunately I got hit with a bad cold this past weekend. I felt a little down and out on Saturday and Sunday then woke up feeling full blown awful on Monday. I still feel like it's doing a number on me with headaches, stuffy sinuses and a sore throat to boot. Being sick while pregnant and taking care of a toddler and preschooler is pretty much the worst thing ever. Thank goodness a friend took Marshal yesterday afternoon so I could take a nap while Cohen took his!
In any case the cold stinks, but I'll tell you what stinks even more- the new gift I have been given with this momentous pregnancy milestone- varicose veins. I debated about whether or not I wanted to write about this because it's seriously depressing me and totally nasty, but I figured I should write some of my thoughts and share my woes in hopes that some of you can relate.
I won't lie I've been lucky with maintaining my body during the first two pregnancies, but I'm not gonna lie third time's the charm. As I've mentioned in my pregnancy diary, this pregnancy has really taken a toll on me physically in the fitness and comfort areas. I'm constantly short of breath and suffering from a lot of back and hip pain, and now I have beautiful varicose veins in my legs too. I guess it could be worse, right now I only have them badly on one leg and close to my hip and upper thigh so not overly visible unless I'm in a swimsuit which I'm seriously debating never wearing again (unless they magically disappear after pregnancy which my doctor says they can- well at least she said that they can improve greatly- so I'm hopeful.) But it's pretty sad to suddenly have have something on your body that looks so foreign and uninviting especially when you try to take care of how your body looks.
I know I shouldn't complain because many women have many more physical ailments they have to deal with a result of pregnancy but it's hard for me to take this one. As a "dancer" the aesthetic of my body has always been important to me. Never in an unhealthy way, but my body was my tool of expression and it's conditioning was very critical to my ability to execute dance steps and choreography correctly. I'm obviously no where close to the physical condition I used to be in, but that sacrifice was a choice I made to have kids. However it has always been my intention to get as close to my former physical body and ability after having all of my kids. I know being the same as before is impossible, but with this lovely new addition underneath my skin it will be that much harder.
I'm trying not to feel really down and out about this right now as I know I'm not at the end point yet, but it's hard. My doctor assures me that varicose veins can improve greatly after pregnancy and that there are treatments available when I'm done with breastfeeding. But for now all I can do is try to stay off my feet as much as possible, elevate my legs as much as possible and wear medical support hose every day! Oh yeah baby!
Now that I've shared all my pregnancy woes, tell me about yours, or at least give me some hope! Tell me how you have gotten through things, dealt with physical challenges etc.
Jordan
Hang in there Jordan - only 3 months to go! Dealing with the changes your body goes through during pregnancy can be tough! Although I never had varicose veins, I do have major stretch marks across my stomach that have never gone away. I am lucky to have a wonderful husband who thinks they are beautiful reminders of the sacredness of motherhood and the sacrifices I made to bring our 6 children into this world. Good luck with your last trimester!
ReplyDeleteI was seriously disappointed that the 'gift' in the title of this post was sarcastic. I was pumped to see what you'd gotten yourself! But seriously I'm sorry this pregnancy has been so brutal and I am scared to see what changes my next pregnancy brings. I try not to focus on the negative (like the stretch marks around my belly button) and just turn my attention to the positive (like still looking pretty good when fully dressed haha). When we are filled with gratitude, there's no room for despair. That being said, I would cling to the hope of the veins resolving themselves after baby arrives and if not, there's always treatments!
ReplyDelete