Friday, December 19, 2014

Life Captured Project- Day 16

Comfort Food

When I think of comfort food I can't name one specific meal. My mother is honestly an amazing cook and I remember every meal we ate being delicious. My mom always took the time to prepare and cook wonderful meals for our family. In the years of my childhood that I remember a little better (probably from the age of 11 and older) I was often not home at meal time as I danced every evening of the week. But I still remember having great food either before heading off to dance or when I got home from my classes.

Some of my favorite dishes to this day that I always request when mom can cook for me are:

  1. BBQ Chicken- This is honestly the best chicken I have ever had. If you have ever been lucky enough to eat it you'll know why. I tired to make this meal for my family a few nights ago and it could not even compare to the way my mom cooks it. It was yummy but I wouldn't even say it tasted like the same dish. When shes cooks it it is just perfect and amazing! 
  2. Rice and Peas- A traditional Jamaican dish that we usually ate at my grandma's house growing up. My mom didn't actually start cooking rice and peas more regularly at home until after my Grandma passed away. But she is definitely a master of this dish and I love it!
  3. Chicken Filled Crepes- This is another of my favorite dishes, in fact this is the meal that I requested on my birthday every year. It is this yummy warm chicken salad type filling that goes inside freshly made crepes and then baked in the oven! Yum yum delicious!
  4. Angel Food Cake- While this is not actually a meal it is my favorite cake in the whole wide world- but only when made by mom! I have never had any other angel food cake that can even compare to hers. This was my birthday cake of choice every year and it is honestly the best cake in the world!
  5. Dad's Apple Pie- My dad is also a great cook and the master of the apple pie. All I can say about apple pie is that my Dad's is the best, hands down. I don't love apple pie but I sure do love one when it's made by my Dad!
  6. Grandpa's Dinner Rolls- Not a meal but a delicious side that we often ate growing up. I dubbed them Grandpa's Dinner Rolls because the recipe came from Grandpa- but mom always made them best! Whenever I think of Christmas or Thanksgiving these dinner rolls are a necessary item on the meal agenda. 
  7. Mom's Baking- When we were kids we used to trade our homemade cookies for the store bought treats other kids would have at school, but I would never dream of doing that now! My mom is a fantastic baker and makes all sorts of delicious confections. Honestly her cookies, cakes, pastries I should stop thinking about them now. All I can say is yum!
It is amazing to me just how meaningful food can be in your life. I have so many memories that involve food and I have very strong food associations with every holiday and special occasion. I feel lucky to have had a mom that was such a great cook and did such a great job taking care of her family's health. I know I'm no cook in comparison to her but hopefully I'll be able to have an influence on my children and they will look back fondly on some of the meals we ate too!

Jordan 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Drop me a line!