Who was your best friend in primary school? Describe him or her?
Honestly not a clue. And usually I'm pretty good at remembering people. But Primary school seems like a LONG time ago.
So instead I'll share my best friend from my dance studio growing up.
Her name was Tina.
I probably first started to really know Tina when she started Lester B. Pearson in Grade 4. I would have been in Grade 6 (she was two years younger than me) so she was actually the same age as my little sister Hannah and they started Pearson at the same time. We rode the bus together to and from school every day and it was a good 40 minute bus ride (if my memory of time is accurate.) I'm sure we weren't great friends to start out with since she was a bit younger than me, but truthfully I always got along with the younger kids better than those my own age- probably because I was such an innocent kid.
Tina and I also attended the same dance school and over time as we got a bit older we had classes at the same time and eventually were in many of the same classes together too. Her neighborhood was not far from mine so we often carpooled to and from dance and I spent a lot of time at her house.
We also spent a ton of time together during the summers when we were off school. We would ride our bikes together every day to try to stay in shape for dance and we would lie in the green grassy fields of Emily Carr Public School and day dream about dance. We were both obsessed with dance and dreamed endlessly of becoming professional ballerinas and making it in that industry despite our major physical limitations. (NOTE: we were not actually disabled in anyway but according to the dance industry we had major physical inconveniences would make it impossible for us to become professional ballerinas- I had flat feet and Tina had no turnout.)
Honestly life was great when Tina and I were best friends. We had such a special friendship and shared so much together in our dance experience. Our passion for dance really bonded us and we went through a lot together because we shared this very special part of our lives. There were endless hours of classes, rehearsals, sleepovers, shows, down time back stage, successes and failures as we got the roles we wanted or didn't get them felt, we did dance exams together and summer camp, taught and took class. IT was a special part of my lifetime that I will not forget.
Sadly as we got older and went into high school we started to grow a little bit apart. We remained quite good friends until I graduated high school in 2002 and then went off to University. Life simply took its course and we went down different paths. Still I always think of Tina when I think of the few good friends I have been blessed to have in this lifetime. She will be one that I will always cherish and remember fondly.
Jordan
No comments:
Post a Comment
Drop me a line!