Hmmm, when I think about it I don't really feel like I know much about anything. I've got plenty of learning left to do in my life and I'm grateful there still plenty of time for that. The "subject" I likely know best is dance. And even so I don't know everything about dance. Sometimes I wish I knew more about dance history and important dance figures, choreographic milestones, world renowned companies and current choreographic trends. But I don't. Maybe one day I'll have time to spend reading about these topics because they really do interest me.
What I know about dance is a few different techniques, disciplines and teaching methods, I know standard achievements for children based on age and ability. I know a bit about coordination and developing muscle memory, the significance of teaching correct technique and properly strengthening and training the muscles before leaping ahead to things that the body might be able to physically do, but is technically not strong enough for. I know about the safe practices of stretching and its use in lengthening and toning the muscles. I know a little bit about healthy eating and taking care of your body so that you can use it as a physical instrument to the best of its ability.
But these things are kind of boring and while they are incredibly important to achieving success as a dancer what I'd like to really share about dance is this.
Dance is a vehicle of expression and one of the truest ways to expose one's soul to the world. It is a physical manifestation of something to which words can give no justice. It is the most refined form of artistry and also the most raw exposure of human emotion. It is technical prowess and the ultimate discipline of ones body. It is something that is personal and universal all at the same time. It is the most beautiful way to touch the souls of everyone who witnesses it in a completely unique and individual way. It is art alive. It is beauty and grace beyond definition. Dance is the deepest and truest passion of my soul and something that I could never live without. Even in trying to describe it I feel I have done it no justice. It is truly who I am and something so beautiful and magical that I wish to share it with the world.

I know that not everyone "understands" dance and some even think it may be strange or weird, but I believe that if everyone were to truly give it a chance without preconceived notions or expectation, but to simply watch and allow it to resonate in your soul you would feel something very special that you may have never felt before.
And that's my two cents, about something I love and don't really know that much about.
Jordan
This was a great post! Don't sell yourself short, you know lots about dance! And you're a beautiful dancer and teacher!!
ReplyDeleteBeautiful words! So poetic.
ReplyDelete